What to expect when visitng my blog...

I would like to take a minute and share with you what to expect when looking over my blog. This page is an opportunity to share with others what I like to do in my spare time. These activities range from reading, which I need to do more of (have a mountain of books to conquer and I still buy more =)...) making my own greeting cards, ornaments and more.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

72 Hour Hold (book 3 in my 50 book challenge)


Book three in my 50 book challenge was 72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell and have to say I really enjoyed. As I work supporting individuals with varying disabilities some even having a mental illness I could relate to a lot of what was being said.

Often times a mental illness is looked at as Taboo people don't want to admit they have a mental illness never mind there child does.

I felt Bebe Moore Campbell did a great job of showing what it is truly like for a mother to fight the battle of helping her daughter get help for her mental illness, while dealing with others views of the illness and fighting her ex-husband who feels that their daughter is not sick while fighting her own battle of guilt.

Bebe Moore Campbell tells a story that pulls you and has you pulling for Keri, a mother with a mission she is going to help her daughter no matter what it takes. Keri goes as far as getting help from a group that takes any means necessary to help an individual with a mental illness even as going as far as kidnapping them.

From the beginning you root for Keri to get the help for her daughter Trinia. 72 Hour Hold definitely shows people that a mother will do anything to help her child even when her child curses her and calls her the devil and hits her. 72 Hour Hold absolutely demonstrates the saying that a mother will always love her child no matter what.

No comments: